Courts and LawPolitics

Magistrate accuses Mamombe dribbling the courts to avoid trial

THE trial date for opposition MDC Alliance’s Joana Mamombe and seven other political activists who are charged with participating in an illegal demonstration sometime in May last year, has been set for next month.

Mamombe, Cecilia Chimbiri, Netsai Marova, Lovejoy Chitengu, Stanley Manyenga, Obey Tererai Sithole and Makomborero Haruzivishe’s trial, has been set for May 13 at the Harare Magistrates Court.

Harare provincial magistrate Vongai Guwuriro has previously said the trials were not opening because of technical glitches orchestrated by Mamombe after she pleaded insanity and declared she was mentally unfit to comprehend court proceedings.

“As long as the first accused continues playing the mental incapacity game on one hand and committing further crimes on the other and gets freed on bail, it will remain a hurdle for the proper administration of justice.

“This is a typical case in which the administration of justice in general and the courts in particular are being sold a dummy by the accused,” she said.

Guwuriro added that the two were “clearly dribbling the administration of justice, but the court must be able to see beyond that veil of deceit”.

The State led by Tafara Chirambira alleges that around midday on May 13 the seven teamed up with several others and gathered at Warren Park 1 shopping centre in Harare before marching towards the Harare-Bulawayo Road.

According to the State, they displayed and waved placards, one of which was inscribed “Unlock us before we revolt”.

They were allegedly demonstrating against the extension of Covid-19 national lockdown and were intercepted and dispersed by the police.

Mamombe, Chimbiri and Marova are also facing other allegations of faking their abduction sometime last year. ■

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Back to top button
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x