Cricket

Zimbabwe says cancellation of Ireland tour had nothing to do with COVID-19

ZIMBABWE Cricket have confirmed that it was “scheduling challenges” rather than COVID-19 which forced them to cancel Ireland’s tour in April for a second time.

The Cricket Ireland press release said they had been advised the planned tour — rescheduled from last year — “cannot proceed at present due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation in the country”, with no mention of any conflict of fixtures.

With the Zimbabwe squad travelling to the UAE at the end of the month for a series against Afghanistan, which is not due to finish until March 20, there would have been no time to fit in a series against Ireland before the Pakistanis arrive for a series which is part of the Future Tours Programme.

Zimbabwe Cricket, in their own statement, said that “accommodating the Ireland series in between the two aforementioned tours, as proposed, was unfortunately not going to be feasible.

“To confirm, the postponement of the proposed Ireland tour was due to scheduling challenges and had nothing to do with the ongoing COVID-19 situation in the country.” 🔺

Follow @ZimbabweVoice on Twitter, or like our Facebook page by clicking here for the latest breaking news in Zimbabwe. To join one of our clean WhatsApp news group, click here. If you find the group full, let us know by clicking here.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Zimbabwe Voice notices you have turned on ad blocker. Kindly turn it off to access our content, as we rely on ads revenue to keep operating.