THE Chinyika West community near Headlands was early this week plunged into mourning after three siblings from the Mabvuwa family died of suspected food poisoning which left two other minors hospitalised.
The death of Eslom (13), Rutendo (11) and Sarah (seven) who were in Grades Seven, Five and One at Mugadza Primary School has left the community shaken.
Abraham (5) and Ndezvashe (2), who are admitted to Rusape General Hospital, are in a stable condition.
The incident occurred on Monday in Ward Eight’s Village 21, Chinyika West, in Headlands.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the Mabvuwas ate sadza with a traditional vegetable — amaranths (mowa).
But the deceased’s mother — Ms Fortunate Chivamombe (35) — denies that her children ate poisoned vegetables.
“My children did not eat mowa as alleged. I only gave them sadza and chunks. I don’t know where they could have consumed the poisonous food since the tobacco nursery in the garden was sprayed about a month ago,” she said on Wednesday.
Ms Chivamombe attributed her children’s death to ‘evil death spirits’ haunting the family.
Manicaland provincial police spokesperson, Inspector Tavhiringwa Kakohwa confirmed the trio’s death, saying Rutendo and Sarah died on their way to Anoldine Clinic, while Eslom died a day after admission to Rusape General Hospital.
He said investigations were in progress. – Manica Post ■