- Sikhala was released 22 September after posting bail of Z$50 000 and ordered to stop posting content online or in WhatsApp groups “with intention to commit public violence”.
INVESTIGATIONS into the matter in which Job Sikhala is charged with inciting public violence are almost complete with the National Prosecution Authority expected to receive his docket by November 16.
Job Sikhala, vice chairman of the main opposition party Movement for Democratic Change Alliance (MDC-Alliance), was arrested on August 21 and charged with inciting the public to commit violence.
His name had appeared on a police wanted list ahead of planned protests against corruption and the country’s economic crisis.
He stands accused of posting videos on social media calling on the public to commit violence and revolt against Emmerson Mnangagwa’s government.
Sikhala was released 22 September after posting bail of Z$50 000 and ordered to stop posting content online or in WhatsApp groups “with intention to commit public violence”.
The State led by Mrs Constance Ngombengombe told Harare magistrate Mr Trynos Utahwashe that they expect to set his trial when he returns to court on November 30.
Through his lawyer Mr Harrison Nkomo, Sikhala said he will apply for refusal of further remand if the State fails to set the matter for trial on the day in question.
Sikhala was one of more than a dozen anti-government activists who went into hiding after police issued an alert seeking information leading to their arrest, ahead of the protests that had been planned for 31 July.
His arrest came after that of another opposition politician and government critic who called for demonstrations, Jacob Ngarivhume, and prominent journalist Hopewell Chin’ono, who tweeted in support of the protests.
The demonstrations were de-facto banned on the grounds of coronavirus restrictions.